7.29.2010

Broiled Tilapia with Coconut Curry Sauce


I know what you're thinking... or well, maybe you're not thinking because you don't follow this blog.. which I totally get, because no one seems to really be updating it often enough... Anyway, what i was getting at is that awhile back I believe I posted another tilapia dish with a coconut curry sauce. Well this one's different! So I have to share! I think I may like this one better. Can't remember.
So yeah - this recipe came about because I'm on a budget this summer (no summer job = no income = tight grocery budget) and I'm trying to eat healthier, and even though its freakin 100 degrees outside everyday... I can't help but want "spicy" foods.. I know, Brandon would be laughing at me right now... its not really spicy when I use mild curry, right? But anyway - I want thai food and indian food and I can't figure out why.. just been craving it. So tilapia was super cheap on sale at the grocery store ($3.99/lb!! thats insane!) and I knew I wanted to do something with curry since its such a bland fish. So I came across a recipe from Cooking Light and thought I'd give it a whirl. It was actually quite tasty and makes you feel better that something so tasty can actually be good for you as well. Well... not GOOD for you, but not bad for you either.

Broiled Tilapia with Coconut Curry Sauce
adapted from Cooking Light
serves 4


Ingredients:

  • 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, divided
  • 1 teaspoon safflower oil (or canola)
  • 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup white onion, chopped (or can use green onions)
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons red curry paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • Cooking spray
  • Brown jasmine rice, cooked, hot
  • 4 lime wedges
Directions:
  1. Preheat broiler.

  2. Heat 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil & safflower oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add onions; cook 3 minutes. Stir in curry powder, curry paste, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add soy sauce, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and coconut milk; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in cilantro. Set aside, but keep warm or heat back up.

  3. Brush fish with safflower oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, a tiny bit of curry powder and a sprinkle of chili powder. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve fish with sauce, rice, and lime wedges. I added a side of sauteed spinach, which I sauteed in the other 1/2t of sesame oil. (the recipe says to brush it on the fish while broiling, but toasted sesame oil has a very low smoking point so its best to stay away from dark, unrefined oils and stick to the ones with a higher smoke point)


So hope you enjoy! I'll now have to go back and compare this one to the old recipe I'd posted and maybe come up with a joint recipe.

-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment