1.15.2009

Lots 'o Latkes

Ok, ok, Lauren. I know that we've been slacking but I will do my best to keep up with your pace! Anyway, I thought I would share with you a couple latke recipes that I tried out this holiday season. I tried these (both eating and cooking) for the first time last Hanukkah as they are Zach's favorite treat. Essentially they're like little hash brown patties. Except more dense and probably fried in more oil. Obviously, this is what makes them even better.

Ingredients

  • 8 medium Russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled
  • 1 medium onion
  • Lemon juice
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/8 cup melted butter
  • Freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Yeilds roughly 20 latkes

Directions

Grate potatoes and onions on a large-hole grater*. Splash with lemon juice and squeeze out excess water. (I find this easiest if I wrap the shredded potatoes in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth and then wring them out.)
— * Note: This can be very time consuming but as I learned with Lauren, if you have a shredder blade for a food processor this will become your new best friend. The shredding will be done more quickly and evenly and will spare you from skinning your knuckles! Not to mention the tears you would shed if you grated an onion! One last benefit is that since this will move much more quickly you have a lesser chance of your potatoes turning gray from the oxidation. Unfortunately in the process of learning this, we broke mom's food processor she got as a wedding gift. (I'm sorry Mom, I know the sentimental attachment you get to these sort of inanimate objects! )

Next, mix flour, milk, egg, baking powder, and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Then add to the potatoes and finish the mix by adding the melted butter.

Now, what comes next is what the important Jewish people in my life (ahem, Sarah and Zach) tell me is what MAKES the latke - the size and thickness. I've found that a size of about 3-4" in diameter and roughly .5" thick works best. Now there's a few ways you can go about forming and frying the latkes, but I find if I have an extra pair of hands it makes things much easier. While the oil is heating in the pan to medium-high heat (hot but not smoking), I usually pre-form a couple latke patties on a plate. Once those are done I use a large, round spatula to ease them into the frying pan. HOWEVER, before you drop them in the oil you must test the temperature by dropping in a tiny piece of shredded potato to make sure it's going to fry, otherwise your latkes will be soggy. Working in batches, slide the latkes into the oil. While those are frying, start forming your next batch.

Fry the latkes until golden on one side, about 2 minutes or so depending on their size, and then flip to the next. Transfer the latkes to a plate lined with paper towels.

Serve with watercress, caviar, applesauce, or creme fraiche (my personal fave!)



Above, is a photo of the sweet potato latkes I made for Christmas dinner. It gives you a good idea of the station set up. Anyway, I may as well post my sweet potato recipe here as well while I'm at it.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Cinnamon to taste
  • Nutmeg to taste
  • Ginger to tast
  • Vegetable oil

Directions

Stir together potatoes, scallions, flour, eggs, salt, and pepper. Now, I used a recipe that called for only those ingredients. But reading a few other user comments, I decided to play off the natural flavor pairings of sweet potato and baking spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. I honestly can't remember how much I added but enough to give it a subtle flavor without overwhelming them. Cook as directed above.

Ok, Lauren. . . are you happy now?!

- Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment