1.16.2009

Sufganiyot (Donuts!!!)



While I'm on the topic of frying things for Hanukkah (I know, it passed almost a month ago), I thought it would be appropriate to add here the recipe for Sufganiyot. Sufganiyot is another Jewish dish made during Hanukkah and another word for amazing donuts. One thing I learned during Hanukkah this year is that these dishes include lots of frying to symbolize the oil that stayed lit for 8 days. Ok, enough with the religious symbolism - all I know is any excuse to fry something is a good one!

Now, Lauren and Kyle both know that I'm not the neatest person in the kitchen... Ok, maybe that's an understatement... but it's especially true when flour is involved. This was my first time making a dough that called for yeast. A couple months ago when Kyle was visiting I tried my hand at making pasta dough so I thought (or hoped) that making donut dough would be a similar process.

A few things made this very different. The first being I couldn't make this in my food processor. This, of course, meant that my hands would be handling the dough from the get-go. Translation: a mess! The second difference from the pasta dough is that donut dough is MUCH stickier. Translation: a big mess! You should've seen me attempting this. Once I got to the part where I was supposed to knead the dough I realized that I would need a ton more flour than the recipe below called for.

I dig my hands in and start kneading. Instead of the dough actually kneading it just starts clumping to my hands until there's almost no dough actually left on my counter. What is there is more like a smear of dough. I sat there deliberating with myself, hysterically laughing at myself actually, as to how I should react to this situation. The dilemma: both of my hands were completed covered in a sticky mess of dough. Flour was within reach of my hands but it was a bag of flour. If I tried to pick it up, half of my dough would've been lost as it would clearly cling to the bag. Beyond that, I know I have poor luck when it comes to dealing with flour. It tends to go everywhere in my case and I envisioned cups of flour pouring out onto the counter top.

Suddenly, I heard my roommate stir in the bedroom (she had been sleeping). My saving grace... "Jenny?!?!" I said, nervously. I then pleaded for her to come out. She came out curious as to what was going on. As soon as she saw me she realized I was in dire need of a clean pair of hands. So Jenny became my "flour-spooner." She would sprinkle flour on the counter top and my hands and then I would knead. This continued for quite some time until I was able to handle the dough with ease. In the end, it all turned out great but it was quite the learning experience.

Ingredients

Makes 20

  • 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees to 110 degrees)
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups vegetable oil, plus more for bowl
  • 1 cup seedless raspberry jam (I used Mom's homemade multi-berry preserves)
  • Cinnamon and sugar for rolling

Directions

  1. In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. Place flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the center; add eggs, yeast mixture, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, nutmeg, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a sticky dough forms. On a well-floured work surface, knead until dough is smooth, soft, and bounces back when poked with a finger, about 8 minutes (add more flour if necessary). Place in an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch-round cutter or drinking glass, cut 20 rounds. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise 15 minutes.
  4. In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil until a deep-frying thermometer registers 370 degrees. Using a slotted spoon, carefully slip 4 rounds into oil. Fry until golden, about 40 seconds. Turn doughnuts over; fry until golden on other side, another 40 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Roll in a mix of cinnamon and sugar while warm. Fry all dough, and roll in sugar.
  5. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a #4 tip with jam. Using a wooden skewer or toothpick, make a hole in the side of each doughnut. Fit the pastry tip into a hole, pipe about 2 teaspoons jam into doughnut. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
Another option is to make a chocolate filling. The typical recipe calls for jam but since I was making these for Zach I wanted to add chocolate filling as an alternate.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c chocolate chips or 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 2 T cream or half and half
  • 1/4 tsp flavoring such as orange or almond (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat the chocolate and cream in a double boiler until melted.
  2. Remove from heat and add any flavorings, if using.
  3. Keep warm until donuts are filled (you don't want it to get cold, otherwise it won't pipe properly into the donuts).
These donuts will go quick and whoever eats them will surely become your new best friend. Buon Appetito!

- Lindsay

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean it passed almost a month ago? It started on Friday and it's still going on..

    ReplyDelete