4.03.2009

Ribeye Steak w/Blueberry Port Reduction



Alright - not the best picture. Sorry.
So anyway -- I was at my parents house and wanted to make dinner (and since I was using their credit card, the sky was the limit, right?) Plus - having a vegetarian for a boyfriend, I was craving red meat. Then I had to figure out something to dress up the steak that my dad would actually eat. I was reminded of a blueberry sauce that was served with a filet I had while dining out in Florence, Italy. (Lindsay - help me out with the name of this place?) It was kinda the best steak/sauce I'd ever had. I think once we tried to "recreate" it, but failed. So it was time to give it another shot. Really, this sauce would go well with a lot of meats - probably better with more "gamey" meats... like elk or duck or lamb or venison.. is lamb gamey? whatever.
So it turned out to be a pretty delicious sauce - just be careful, because it calls for beef stock (i only had beef broth on hand) and when you reduce it to a fourth of its original state, the flavor strengthens... as does the salt. So I'd suggest getting maybe a low-sodium version. That was my only drawback of this recipe... it was a tad salty. OR you could offset it and maybe add more sugar. Ok enough talk.

Blueberry Port Reduction Sauce:
serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2c Port
  • 1c beef stock
  • 1c (6oz pkg) blueberries
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 2t sugar
  • 1t finely chopped mint (or you could use thyme or rosemary)
Directons:
  1. In a medium sauce pan, stir together port, beef stock, blueberries, shallot, and sugar.
  2. Bring to a boil on high heat
  3. Reduce heat to medium and boil, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/2c. About an hour.
  4. Stir in mint, serve warm.

So the way that I prepared the ribeye steak - I seasoned the steaks with salt & pepper. I heated a cast iron skillet over medium heat and added vegetable oil. I seared the steaks in the pan for about 2 minutes on the first side... until they got a golden color.. then I flipped them over to sear the meat another 2 - 3 minutes. I then moved the skillet into a 400 degree oven and let it roast for about 10 minutes. This all depends on the thickness of your steaks, of course. If the steaks are thin, I'd say to roast it for less time.. also it depends on how you like your meat. I want mine medium rare. Once you remove the skillet from the oven, let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
I served the steaks with a side of roasted potatoes, squash, and broccoli and some caramelized mushrooms. yum!

Enjoy!

Submitted by Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Restaurant is called Acqua al 2. There is a sister restaurant with the same name in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete