5.14.2009

Mexican Lasagna


Ok - First of all I have to apologize for not posting in forever!! But - I've been documenting past meals and have plenty of stuff to catch up with!
Anyway - I'd forgotten about this gem of a recipe that I'd first heard about from rachel ray. Ok - I'm sorry! I'm a foodie and I mentioned rachel ray! I don't condone watching her show... nor listening to any of her advice... but I have to give it to her that occasionally she does have a pretty decent recipe. So I made a few changes to the recipe and its quite tasty. It also holds up really well for plenty of leftovers!

Mexican Lasagna
serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2lbs ground turkey 0r chicken
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1 (14-oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or I roasted fresh corn and scraped off the kernals)
  • 2T ketchup or tomato paste
  • Salt
  • 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas, I think you may really only need 4 if you cut it just right!
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped
  • 2T fresh cilantro
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

  2. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Add onion and cook until tender. Add turkey and season with chili powder and cumin. Brown the meat, 5 minutes. Add fire roasted tomatoes and tomato paste/ketchup. Add black beans and corn. Heat the mixture through, 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste. At the very end, throw in a few tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro to taste.

  3. Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon oil. I find the either an 8x8 square or the 2 quart oblong size works. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. I would suggest a slotted spoon when scooping the meat/beans, you don't want too much liquid or the lasagna will be runny. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with the scallions and cilantro and serve.

Enjoy!
Posted by lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment