5.14.2009

Strawberry Pie


I'd never had Strawberry Pie before and Brandon kept bugging me to make one for him.. So I waited until the Tennessee Strawberries were in season.. went down to the farmer's market and picked up a quart of the lovely red berries and made him that pie! (I think I nailed it).
So yeah - strawberry pies... turns out its a COLD pie. Something I'm not used to eating... apparently Shoney's makes one that he remembered from childhood - but I suggest DO NOT go to Shoney's to eat pie - or anything for that matter. It only takes a few ingredients and some patience and you have yourself a sweet strawberry pie.

Strawberry Pie
serves 8 - or 2

Ingredients:
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 1 quart fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions:
  1. Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving. In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
Its really good I promise!

Posted by Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment